Friday, February 03, 2012

The Big Move

It's already the year of the dragon and it's already February! Gosh, time really flies without noticing. It's just less than 24 hours more till I leave this sunny island to pursue my studies in the land of Kangaroos. The past few weeks have been consumed by administration procedures, sorting things out to pack, getting down to packing itself, and of course to spend my remaining few days with the people dear to me. Honestly, it's been a really long journey from just getting interested in all things planty and now it's about time to say goodbye and start a new journey once again. A journey where I won't know what to expect, I won't know how rough the road will be, nor the people I will meet along that road, but what I DO know is that God's looking down from above and I simply take comfort in that alone. Yes, it seems intangible, but it's something that I continually believe in and hold on to dearly.  

Well, my whole life has literally been packed into one single luggage bag, all shrink-wrapped and ready to see the new life I'm about to experience. I definitely have mixed feelings about leaving everything behind for about a year. 
Excitement comes to mind because who wouldn't be excited and eager to go on a totally new journey. Yes, there will be a lot of new things to experience, and a lot of new cultures to adapt to. But that is all part of the experience right? 
Sadness is also part of the package because I will be leaving everything else behind in Singapore. After living 23 years in the same house, in the same neighbourhood, same country, same environment, same people around you. There are so many things which I won't be able to pack into my luggage bag, and these are the things which I will most definitely miss sorely. 


My family is something which I will really miss a lot because they have been there for me my whole life, and leaving all of them behind is really heart-wrenching. I will miss my mum especially because being the only child, she has nobody else to take care of but me (not that I'm complaining). I will miss all her nagging, and even though I sometimes get ticked off by it, I think I will miss the sound of her voice, and home-sickness will kick in sooner or later. Family really keeps somebody going, and I'm glad they support me all the way.

Friends are the next thing which I will miss the most! Without them, life would be really boring. They always bring a smile to my face whenever I see them and I will dearly miss each and everyone of them. Having brothers and sisters in Christ really help me because it creates a community for me to grow and develop in. Having a common set of values to improve ourselves in really builds and strengthens the bonds between us, and I will miss all their crazy antics. My army friends have also played an integral role in my life because if not for them, NS would have been a real bore. I'm glad I met each and everyone of them and I will always remember all the times and moments we spent together doing weird and crazy things. I will also miss the boys because they bring so much joy and laughter every Saturday, and I don't know what I would be doing every weekend if not for them. Seeing each and everyone of them grow up from young kids to teenagers really makes me proud, and I'm sure they will grow to be fine young men when I return. I will also miss my secondary school and polytechnic friends (those who are not studying in Australia) because they have knowingly or unknowingly influenced me when I was growing up and I really treasure each and every one of them.   

I will also miss my plants just outside my doorstep. Though they are not some super rare species of plants, but they're special to me because I have also seen them 'grow up' when I first obtained them. Most have flowered religiously for me over the past few years and I'm really grateful for them as well because they really brought cheer and colour to the dull corridor of mine. I hope my mum will be able to take care of them and I will be able to come home to a beautiful corridor once again.

Of course in Singapore, food is an integral part of my life as well. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, and most definitely Malay cuisine. I will miss each and every one of them because being delicious is one thing, affordable as well!? Who wouldn't miss it?! I know I would, and I'm sure cravings will slowly creep up on me when I think of home. But we will do our best to cook our own over there in Australia, and hopefully, it will satiate some cravings if possible.

Despite the recent transport breakdowns and let-downs, I will also miss the regular buses and trains. Singapore being an island city, the transportation infrastructure is top-notch in my opinion, and I will miss the constant rumble of buses going by me. I will miss the safety of just making my way home alone at 12midnight, with no worries of being mugged by some homeless person who is desperate enough to do such a thing.

No doubt I will miss all these homely comforts, but I signed up for this knowing all the things I will miss in Singapore, but I will also be missing out on greater things if I don't go. Yes, I will miss Singapore, but there are so many things out there which I have yet to explore, so yes, I want to grab this opportunity to go out into the world to see new things! Well, I guess this is farewell from me within the yellow-orange walls of my room. 


~moey out~