Sunday, February 08, 2009

Viva la Dendrobium



I thought that I would finally post something which is horticulturally related, since I AM in this course. So this is a mini Dendrobium, but I'm unsure of the full botanical name because this is one of those orchids which have been crossed a bazillion times to come up with the right blend of flowers, colours and all the other stuff.

This is my pride and joy of my potted plants so far. It has bee with me since June Last year, and has flowered all the while, but up till the new year, there were only a few flowers, but this year, it started to grow dramatically and out popped dozens of flowers, and I mean dozens: 49 to be exact. All blooming on about 6 spikes, and there are 4 more spikes which have not flowered yet, so my mum and I are eagerly awaiting the new arrivals. The flower spikes really remind me of Phalaenopsis orchids, all flowing down gracefully on both sides.

What is surprising is that my orchid is taking root in cocopeat, which is utterly unconventional to orchid growers in general. Like what Mark and Loy said: this is something which is surprising, and the orchid is better than fine. The next surprising thing is that it was my mum who repotted the orchid right after she bought it, and put it in pure 100% cocopeat, so this is partially thanks to her as well. Hahahaha, everytime I walk pass my orchid, I just like to admire it for a while before moving on, and for a novice grower like me, it's something which I'm really proud of.
I just need to watch out for spider mites and fungus, but they usually come only when there are orchids concentrated in any particular area, but I'm not taking any chances though.

Well, this is something close to my heart, and I guess there'll be more interesting stuff to come soon. Till then, take care and good night everybody!

~moey out~