Friday, December 18, 2009

Black & White



This wonderful piece of instrument/furniture has been in the family for about 15 years now. What started out on an electric keyboard, has become a full-fledged piano. This piano has accompanied me through over a decade of practising and memorizing of piano pieces. Back then, my interest in playing fueled a continual use of the piano, all the way from Grade 1 up through Grade 5. Considering the amount of time and effort put into going through so much, I think that it is well worth the memories and money spent.

I can still remember every Friday when Aunty Rahimah would come over from work, knock at my door and come teach me a new piece or prepare me for the upcoming ABRSM exams. Once in a while, she couldn't make it, so my mum fetched me all the way to Aunty's house to have a lesson with her own piano(which had quite a few strands of golden strands of feline hair easily identified on top of the black and white keys) I'm really thankful for Aunty Rahimah for her extreme patience with me, because FYI, I cannot sight-read for nuts(which means I have to scan a totally new piece in about 3mins and play it right away) she knew that was my weakest area and most of the time(if not all the time) she had to gingerly guide my fingers to the correct keys. Thinking back, I guess it must have been quite frustrating to do it over and over again.

I guess this piece of memory will not be possible if not for my mum's persuasion of me taking up piano lessons. If I have not taken up these lessons, my fingers would not be as flexible as they are today and I would probably be tone deaf and unable to sing properly. So fortunately, those days were to be preceded with me taking up the guitar and starting to have an interest in another instrument. So I guess I can say that those black and white keys paved the way for a much brighter and colourful time ahead. =)

~moey out~